1 loaf of your favourite gluten free bread – that’s been left out for at least a day to dry, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 10-12 cups)
1 cup pecans
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
5 tbsp coconut oil
1 pear, peeled, cored, chopped
1-2 cups of stock from the turkey or store bought (ensure gluten and casein free)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp of ground sage
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp marjoram
Mineralized sea salt and freshly ground pepper corns (to taste)
- Toast the pecans by heating them in a frying pan on medium high heat for a few minutes. Stir as they brown but don’t allow them to burn. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, chop into smaller pieces.
- Melt 3 Tbsp of coconut oil in a medium pan. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat the bread pieces with the melted oil. Allow them to “toast”.
- In a separate fry pan melt remaining oil and sauté onions and celery on medium to high heat until cooked through (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the bread, pecans, pears, seasonings and one cup of the stock.
- Cover and turn down the heat to low. Simmer for an hour or until the pears are cooked through. Check every ten minutes or so and add water or stock as needed while cooking to keep the stuffing moist and keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.