Mix the following in a medium size pot together:
- ½ cup of dry grains: options include whole brown rice*, wild rice*, millet*, buckwheat*, kasha, barley, whole rye, bulgur, amaranth*, quinoa*, wheat berries, spelt, kamut, steel cut oats or cornmeal. *this is the gluten free option, not the other grains.
- ¼ cup of nuts: options include walnuts, almonds, pine, beech, butternut, brazil nut, cashew, hazelnut, pecan, macadamia. Pistachios & peanuts are generally not recommended as they often contain aflotoxins, which are carcinogenic, even if organic.
- ¼ cup of seeds: options include pumpkin, sesame, sunflower.
Soak all of these in a pot overnight covered in 1.5 cups of water. In the morning, drain the water, rinse with fresh water, drain and then add another 1.5 cups of water. Add berries and place pot on medium heat stirring often.
- ¼ cup of fruit: options include gogi berries, acai berries, blueberries, cranberries, noni fruit, an apple or a pear. These fruits should be added before you begin cooking the grains so that they are tenderized during cooking and will then be digested more easily.
Cook until most water is absorbed. Remove from heat and add any of the following for additional flavour:
- Vanilla, cinnamon, coriander, cloves or nutmeg. Raw honey if you aren’t working on a hypoglycemic diet
Serve. Eat until you are nearly full, then stop, never “stuff” yourself.