I LOVE salads. I eat them nearly every day for lunch. I never get bored of them because there are so many things that can go into a salad … and now that it’s summer … everything is available in abundance. YUM! So, when you want to make a salad and feel like you are creating the same old thing – here is a list of ingredients to change things up. You don’t even need lettuce, you can make it a Mediterranean platter.
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Sauerkraut, red or white
- Beets, shredded
- Carrots, shredded
- Carrots, dipped in homemade hummus
- Black or white beans, soak overnight with a tbsp of apple cider vinegar then boil until tender
- Chick peas, same prep process as the beans
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Salmon, cook a whole one and use a bit each day on/with your salad
- Mixed lettuces, arugula is divine
- Chicken, roast your own whole free range one and then you will have delicious cold chicken for salads for the next few weeks (keep portions frozen and take out as needed)
- Seared tuna, BC Albacore tuna does not have dangerous levels of mercury, even if you are pregnant
- Boiled eggs, sliced
- Grilled zucchini
- Baked eggplant slices
Then of course there are the grain based ones. Mixing any of the above ingredients with quinoa, wheat berries*, couscous*, or other grain. Lentils can make a great base as well, or potatoes. *Not gluten-free (contains gluten)
What’s my favourite salad combo? A platter of olives, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, sauerkraut and salmon with a side of mixed lettuces, olive oil, honey and capers.
What’s your favourite salad combination?